c CAUTION: Avoid injury!
• Keep sparks, lighted matches, and open flame away from the top of battery. Battery gas can explode.
• Never check battery charge by placing a metal object across the posts. Use a volt-meter or hydrometer.
• Do not charge a frozen battery; it may explode. Warm battery to 16 degrees C (60 degrees F).
Charge the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes at 5-10 amps. If your battery charger has a Deep Cycle or Maintenance Free setting, use this setting to charge the battery. Failure to charge the battery before use will reduce battery performance and life.
Adjusting Tire Pressure
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Explosive separation of a tire and rim parts can cause serious injury or death:
• Do not attempt to mount a tire without the proper equipment and experience to perform the job.
• Always maintain the correct tire pressure. Do not inflate the tires above the recommended pressure. Never weld or heat a wheel and tire assembly. The heat can cause an increase in air pressure resulting in a tire explosion. Welding can structurally weaken or deform the wheel.
• When inflating tires, use an extension hose long enough to allow you to stand to one side and NOT in front of or over the tire assembly.
• Check tires for low pressure, cuts, bubbles, damaged rims or missing lug bolts and nuts.
NOTE: Tire pressure at shipment is 104 kPa (15 psi).
1. Adjust tire pressure to 62-83 kPa (9-12 psi).
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Tire pressure should never be less than 62 kPa (9 psi) or greater than 104 kPa (15 psi). Tire pressure should be equal for all tires on mower.
A lower pressure may improve traction and performance depending on turf conditions or if transport areas have steep inclines.
Check Fluid Levels
NOTE: Refer to the Service sections of the operator’s manual for information regarding check locations and proper fluid levels.
• Check engine oil level.
• Check hydraulic oil level.
Installing and Adjusting Cutting Units and Accessories
NOTE: Refer to Operating - Cutting Units and Service - Cutting Units sections for information regarding installing and adjusting cutting units and accessories.
• Install and adjust cutting units.
Check Machine Safety System
NOTE: Refer to the Operating section of the operator’s manual for information regarding safety systems.
Perform safety system checks to make sure the electronic safety interlock circuit is functioning properly.