Transmission and Hydraulic Oil
NOTE: Tractor is filled with John Deere HY-GARD™ (J20C) transmission oil at the factory. Do not mix oils. Do not use type “F” automatic transmission fluid or J20D Low Viscosity HY-GARD™.
Use the following oil viscosity based on the air temperature range. Operating outside of the recommended oil air temperature range may cause premature hydrostatic transmission failure.
John Deere HY-GARD™ (J20C) transmission oil is specially formulated to provide maximum protection against mechanical wear, corrosion, and foaming.
Hydraulic Component Location
A - Flow Valve, Rear Wheel Motor
B - Rear Wheel Motors
C - Pump, Ground Drive
D - Pump, Front Reel Drive
E - Front Wheel Motors
F - Pump, Rear Reel Drive
G - Filter
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Escaping fluid under pressure can penetrate the skin causing serious injury. Avoid the hazard by relieving pressure before disconnecting hydraulic or other lines. Tighten all connections before applying pressure. Search for leaks with a piece of cardboard. Protect hands and body from high pressure fluids.
Use caution when filling and draining hydraulic oil. During periods of machine operation the hydraulic oil reservoir can get hot. Allow engine and oil reservoir to cool before servicing.
Checking and Adding Transmission -Hydraulic Oil
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Check oil level when transaxle is cold.
1. Park vehicle safely.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use ONLY John Deere HY-GARD™ (J20C) Transmission and Hydraulic Oil.
Do not overfill as oil may expand during operation and spill on turf.
2. To fill hydraulic fluid to correct level, remove hydraulic fill cap (A) and plug (B). Fill until hydraulic fluid just begins to come out of hole.
3. Replace plug and fill cap.
Changing Transmission Oil And Filter
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Escaping fluid under high pressure can penetrate the skin and cause serious injury. Avoid the hazard by relieving pressure before connecting hydraulic or other lines. Tighten all connections before applying pressure.
• Search for leaks with a piece of cardboard. Protect hands and body from high pressure fluids.
• If an accident occurs, see a doctor immediately. Any fluid injected into the skin must be surgically removed within a few hours or gangrene may result. Doctors unfamiliar with this type of injury should reference a knowledgeable medical source. Such information is available from Deere & Company Medical Department in Moline, Illinois, U.S.A. In the United States and Canada only, this information may be obtained by calling 1-800-822-8262.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Contamination of hydraulic fluid could cause transmission damage or failure. Do not open oil reservoir cap unless absolutely necessary.
Severe or unusual conditions may require a more frequent service interval.
NOTE: Use ONLY John Deere HY-GARD™ (J20C) Transmission-Hydraulic Oil.
1. Park mower on a level surface.
2. Run engine to warm oil. STOP engine.
3. Remove drain plug (A).
4. Remove filter (B) while oil is draining.
5. Fill new filter half full with clean transmission/hydraulic oil.
6. Install filter quickly to avoid dripping oil. Turn it until seal contacts base, then turn it by hand 1/2 turn more.
7. Install drain plug.
8. Fill reservoir.
• Capacity is approximately 45.4 L (12 gal).
9. Start engine. Check for leaks around drain plug and filter.
10. Move lift lever back and forth several times.
11. Stop engine. Check oil level and top off as necessary.