IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use recommended John Deere greases to avoid component failure and premature wear.
The recommended John Deere greases are effective within an average air temperature range of -29 to 135 degrees C (-20 to 275 degrees F).
If operating outside that temperature range, contact your Servicing dealer for a special-use grease.
The following greases are preferred:
• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease
If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.
Wet or high speed conditions may require use of a special-use grease. Contact your Servicing dealer for information.
Lubricating Front Caster Spindles
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! To avoid injury, Do not lubricate machine while the engine is running.
NOTE: Do not over-lubricate. Excess grease could fall from mower during operation.
Clean grease fitting before lubricating. Replace missing or broken grease fittings immediately.
• Lubricate two front caster spindle grease fittings (A).
Lubricating Deck Lift Arm Blocks
NOTE: Adjust the mower deck to a lower cutting height position when performing this service procedure.
• Lubricate four deck lift arm block grease fittings (A), two located on each side of the machine.
Lubricating Pump Idler Pivot
• Lubricate one pump idler pivot grease fitting (A).
Lubricating Mower Deck Spindles
NOTE: Removal of belt shields and foot plate is not necessary to lubricate the spindles.
Picture Note: Side-discharge deck shown.
• Lubricate one mower deck spindle grease fitting (A), located in the center of the deck.
• Lubricate two mower deck spindle grease fittings (B).
Lubricating Mower Deck Struts
• Lubricate two push arm grease fittings (A), one located on each side of the machine.