Operating - Cutting Units
Cutting Taller Grass (Front Rollers Are Optional)
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! When mowing tall grass in rough terrain, it is recommended to leave the front rollers on to protect the reels from striking any unseen objects.
When cutting grass taller than approximately 38 mm
(1-1/2 in.), the front roller tends to knock down grass affecting the quality of cut. In these conditions, it may be necessary to operate with cutting units in fixed position without a roller.
NOTE: The fixed position is recommended for smooth areas only, such as athletic fields, level parks, etc.
1. Remove front roller (A).
2. Remove scraper, if equipped.
3. Install 1/2 x 1 in. cap screw, and nut, from bag of hardware supplied with machine, to fixed position (B) on both sides of all three cutting units.
Cutting Shorter Grass
When cutting grass under approximately 38 mm (1-1/2 in.) Place the cutting unit in the floating position.
1. Install front roller (A).
2. Install scraper, if equipped. (See instruction sheet provided for scraper kit).
3. Remove 1/2 x 1 in. cap screw and nut from fixed position (B).
NOTE: Cutting grass under 38mm (1-1/2-in.) in dry conditions a grooved roller may be desirable.
In wet/muddy conditions or in new growth area a smooth roller may be the choice.
The cutting units come with a grass deflector mounted on the rear of the cutting units.
NOTE: For ease of changing, the bent end of rod (A) should be located opposite the motor end of the cutting units.
With the deflector (B) down as shown the grass will be deflected towards the front of the cutting units.
1. Remove pull pin and rod (A) and move deflector (B) up, to position shown for rear discharge of grass clippings.
2. Replace rod and pull pin.
Engaging Reel Drive
1. Pull PTO switch (A) up to on position.
2. Move throttle all the way forward to fast position.
3. Slowly push pedal (B) down to begin forward mowing.
4. Push Lift/ Mow lever (C) forward to lower cutting units and start reel rotation.
5. Pull Lift/Mow lever (C) back to raise cutting units and stop reel rotation. Hold in this position until the rear cutting unit is fully raised.
6. Remove foot from pedal (B) to stop forward travel.