IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Use recommended John Deere greases to avoid component failure and premature wear.
The recommended John Deere greases are effective within an average air temperature range of -29 to 135 degrees C (-20 to 275 degrees F).
If operating outside that temperature range, contact your Servicing dealer for a special-use grease.
The following greases are preferred:
• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease
If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.
Wet or high speed conditions may require use of a special-use grease. Contact your Servicing dealer for information.
Lubricating Pivot Points
38 and 42 Mowers:
Picture Note: 38 mower shown.
Picture Note: 42C mower shown.
Picture Note: 42 mulching mower shown.
• Lubricate two mower spindle grease fittings (A) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
48 and 54 Mowers:
Picture Note: 54 mower shown.
• Lubricate three mower spindle grease fittings (A) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
Lubricating Front Axle
1. Lubricate grease fitting (A) on each spindle with one or two pumps of general all-purpose grease.
2. Turn wheels to distribute grease on spindles.
3. Lubricate front axle center pivot grease fitting (B) with one or two pumps of general all-purpose grease.
Lubricating Rear U-Joints (4-Wheel Steer Models)
1. Lubricate steering pivot grease fitting (A) at each wheel with recommended grease.
2. Turn steering wheel back and forth to distribute grease.
Lubricating Lift Pedal Assembly
Picture Note: Location of grease fitting under left side of fender deck.
1. Lubricate grease fitting (A) for lift pedal with enough grease to flush out dirt.
2. Remove excess grease.