1. Uncrate tractor. Return steel envirocrate. Call 1-800-JDLAWNS for procedure if needed.
2. Remove tractor hood.
a. Lift rear of hood (A) and tilt to fully upright position.
IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Disconnect headlight harness before removing hood.
b. Disconnect headlight harness (B) on left side of machine.
c. Pull hood forward and roll hood up and out of rail.
c CAUTION: Avoid injury! The battery produces a flammable and explosive gas. The battery may explode:
• Do not smoke or have open flame near battery.
• Wear eye protection and gloves.
• Never check battery charge by placing a metal object across the posts. Use a voltmeter or hydrometer.
• Do not jump start or charge a frozen battery. Warm battery to 16?C (60?F).
3. Check battery.
• Battery was filled to proper level and fully charged when it left the factory.
• To ensure maximum life, check battery voltage before delivery.
• If battery voltage is less than 12.6, charge battery for 30 minutes at 5-10 amps.
4. Connect battery.
a. Use a wire brush to remove any glazing from battery posts and cable ends.
b. Connect red positive (+) cable to battery, then connect black negative (-) cable.
c. Tighten connections securely and apply MPG2 (M79292) grease or TY15730 battery spray to reduce corrosion.
d. Push protective cover over positive terminal.
5. Install steering wheel.
a. Install steering wheel on shaft.
b. Tighten nut (A) to 38 N•m (28 lb-ft).
c. Install steering wheel cover (B).
6. Install seat.
a. Remove rod (A) from seat pan bracket.
b. Install seat on seat suspension assembly (B) by inserting rod through holes in suspension and middle hole in seat pan bracket.
c. Install washer (C) and secure with cotter pin (D) on rod.
d. Squeeze seat switch tabs together and slide switch (E) into slot in bottom of seat and release tabs. Connect seat switch harness (F).
7. Install mower (or appropriate attachment). Make sure PTO shaft is connected properly and collar is locked. Refer to mower or attachment Operator’s Manual for specific instructions.
8. Level mower for best cutting performance.
• Set mower depth control at 6.4 cm (2.5 in) or to the height requested by the customer.
• Adjust deck level side-to-side for even cutting.
• Adjust front of mower 6 mm (1/4 in) lower than rear for best cutting performance.
• Adjust mower guage wheels to prevent scalping. Adjust so bottom of wheels is 6 mm (1/4 in) above hard surface with deck set at cutting height.